Right now you lay up in your bed sleeping peacefully as I think about the past two and a half years you’ve blessed me with. I still remember the day I found out I was pregnant with you, I cried and cried so thankful and excited for the life we would have together. Each morning as you grew in my belly I prayed over you, for your protection, but mostly for your future and who you would become. The moment you entered this world I remember saying how beautiful you were, I couldn’t take my eyes off you, I was instantly and overwhelmingly in love with you. As you physically grew so did your personality, your emotions, and your mind. I am daily taken back by how insanely smart, kind, loving, joyful, hilarious, beautiful, and sweet. I know that as you grow older you will become more aware, aware of yourself, the world, the people in the world and how they look at you. What I wish I could give you is the gift of being able to see yourself through my eyes every day. I don’t want you to ever think less of what I described you as, but I know someday you will. When those days come there are some things I want you to forever remember…
1. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. When you were created in my womb, God had a specific design and plan for your life. A life that is full of joy, fulfillment, and beauty. You are here on purpose, for a purpose. Know that the plans God has for your life are way more than what you could ever think for yourself, be ready for an amazing journey!
“The Lord directs the steps of the Godly. He delights in every detail of their lives” Psalm 37:23
2. You are loved by so many people that all want to support you and see you reach your greatest potential. Know that you are never alone, even if life can sometimes seem lonely.
3. You are beautiful on the inside and out. This world will want you to believe that outward beauty is what women should strive for. I don’t agree, I think beauty comes from within. Caring for people, having a gentle spirit, being respectful, possessing confidence, and loving well are all things that make you beautiful. Even though you are outwardly beautiful focus on the inside more and that brings outward beauty.
4. You are strong and much stronger than you may believe. Don’t give up and don’t give in! You truly can do whatever you set your mind to accomplish, so dream big baby girl.
5. You are so smart. You amaze me by the things you say and do. Continue to stick with your love for reading and learning, this will bring great things your way.
6. Be willing to give yourself grace and plenty of it at times. You will stumble, you will fall, but always get back up. Know that mistakes and wrong turns can bring a beautiful outcome when looked at with grace. I wish I had been nicer to myself through the mistakes of my life, but you have the chance to do well in this from the beginning. Be loving towards yourself. Charlie girl, if there are days when you feel “less than” remember these things I’ve told you, for they are all true. I pray you find your self-worth through these things and not what society thinks is worthy.
Thank you for making me a mama and allowing me to (hopefully) teach you how to navigate this sometimes scary world.
About the Author
My name is Jennifer Erickson and I’m the blogger behind The Happy Mama Life! I live in a small town outside Denver with my husband of 8 years, our 2 1/2 year old toddler Charlotte and our 9 year old rescue pup Maverick! I am a stay at home mom that loves Jesus, loves to make healthy recipes, fun crafts and exercise!