‘You gotta get up and try, try, try. You gotta get up and try, try, try.’ –Pink
I am NOT a morning person. Never have been, don’t know that I ever will be. My mom swore up and down that having kids would make me an early riser. Not so. I’ve tried going to bed earlier. I’ve tried the alarm clock across the room. Nothing doing. But, here’s a morning routine that’s really helped me start my day off right (followed by a cup of coffee, of course). And all it takes is 15 minutes!
- Go to the kitchen and drink a glass of water (1 minute).
- Choose a verse(s) (1 minute).
Sometimes I just go through a book of the Bible. Sometimes I just go to the Bible Gateway app on my phone. The one I came across this morning was Isaiah 26:3 (the Message):
“People with their minds set on you, you keep completely whole, steady on their feet, because they keep at it and don’t quit.”
- Get on the foam roller and let the verse roll around in your head (2 minutes).
- Roll off the roller and onto the floor. Do some stretches – below is an example (5 minutes).
- Sit in a comfortable proud position on the couch. Think about for what it is you’re thankful – family, job, etc. Say it out loud (3 minutes).
- Lie on your back on a firm surface with the backs of your heels flat on the floor.
- Gently pull one knee up to your chest until you feel a stretch in your lower back.
- Bring the knee as close to your chest as comfortably possible.
- Keep the opposite leg relaxed in a comfortable position, either with your knee bent or with your leg extended.
- Hold for about 30 seconds.
- Stretch the leg up to the sky. Hold for 15 seconds. Gently lower it down.
- Move your leg from side to side (like a windshield wiper).
- Switch legs and repeat.
- When you have done both legs, stretch them both out and move them both from side to side like windshield wipers.
- Bend both legs at the knee. stretch to the right, hold.
- Bring them back to center.
- Stretch to the left and hold.
“God, I’m so thankful for…”
Think about how happy these people and things make you.
- Breathe in for 6 counts, hold 6 counts, exhale 8 counts (3 minutes).
See the thoughts you have, acknowledge them, release them over to Jesus and ask Him to make them captive to Him.
Notice how you’re feeling. Filled with relaxation and strength; ready for an incredible day.
I’m a part-time working mom of two in my mid-thirties learning to be like Jesus in the big and small dailies in San Francisco. I have a degree in English (Auburn University) and a Masters of Divinity (Golden Gate Seminary). I’m from the South, but not of the South. I’ve traveled to France, Ukraine, and China and, on a regular basis, come in contact with all of those nationalities plus a half a dozen more at the playground seven blocks from the flat we call home. We are a part of a house church that began as an outreach to Nepali refugees.
I live in the grace and love of Jesus and live out, as best I know how, that grace and love to others. I love checking off a to-do list – most days that includes drinking (good) coffee, singing, laughing, and reading up on the 75+ blogs to which I subscribe. A great day would also include going to the beach, having bacon for brunch and ice cream for dinner.
I beg for God’s kingdom come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven – in my corner of the great city of San Francisco, as well as in all the other amazingly beautiful corners of the world – including yours, wherever that may be!